The Book That Changed My Life











See the source image









"The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more you learn, the more places you’ll go.” What a great quote by a man who has become a legend in the realm of children’s books. Dr. Seuss had a knack for making words rhyme though, which is why he lives on with so many of us. When children and adults are asked for an author that they remember from their childhood days, they almost simultaneously answer with the name of Dr. Seuss.
          I am not going to talk about any of Dr. Seuss’ books though. I am rather going to talk about a book that I can earnestly remember reading in my early childhood days called, Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr. and John Archambult. I really enjoyed this book and I am sure many other people did throughout the world. It is one of those books that I am absolutely, positively, without a doubt, surefire guaranteed, would be in the hall of fame for books if they had a hall of fame. They probably should have a hall of fame considering their importance to society. I am just throwing that out there for everybody who cares, which really should be everybody.
          Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is more than just a book, but it is a way of learning something that every single person uses in their daily lives. No, I am not talking about eating either. I am talking about the alphabet. Children usually start beginning to read this book around preschool age and most continue reading it throughout the rest of their lives, but some stop at age six. The book is fast paced and includes a great deal of rhyming to make the reading of the book flow smoothly. Throughout the book, we are taken on an adventure of lower-case letters climbing a coconut tree in alphabetic order and wondering if the tree can hold up all those letters. We eventually find out when the letter “z” climbs to the top of the coconut tree, that the tree cannot hold all the letters and they all fall down. The lower-case letters are then comforted by the upper-case letters and the story seems to start all over again with the lower-case “a” climbing back up the tree.

          Not only is Chicka Chicka Boom Boom an exciting story that has classrooms everywhere chanting out the sweet sound of “Chicka chicka boom boom! Will there be enough room?”, but there are so many great activities that teachers can implement into their lessons that incorporate this book as well. This book is entertaining, colorful, engaging, and just flat out fun to read. This book can help children who don’t adore reading or school, to actually enjoy a book. This book can help teachers reach children at a young age with the one of the most important fundamentals of conversation such as the alphabet. Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is a great way to make reading enjoyable again for those who do not yell out “yee-haw” after reading a fun book or just simply have had a bad experience with reading. Chicka Chicka Boom Boom has made a huge difference in my life and I know it has made a major impact on others’ lives as well.  

Comments

  1. Heath, I love the amount of enthusiasm you used when expressing this books impact in the classroom. It made me want to revisit the text for myself, and I really enjoyed your line, "This book can help teachers reach children at a young age with the one of the most important fundamentals of conversation such as the alphabet." I thought that was a great point. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heath, when I first saw the title for your book it instantly took me to 4-H camp with the many chants and songs. But, as I continued to read your blog I was taken back, many many years mind you, to when our teacher in Elementary school read it to us. Actually I had forgotten all about this book, so thank you for jogging my memory and I cannot wait to utilize it in the future. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life Lessons

A True American Life

The Round Table